Workers' Compensation Questions

Nashville, Tennessee

* Required | Privacy Policy

What is workers' compensation?
Workers' Compensation is a state-regulated insurance program that provides workers who have been injured on the job or have suffered work related illnesses with payment for medical bills and partial salary and lost wage compensation.

What benefits am I entitled to?
If you have suffered a work related injury, according to Tennessee law you may be entitled to receive:

  • Disability Benefits
  • Medical Benefits
  • Death Benefits
  • Permanent Disability Benefits

What do medical benefits entail?
The medical benefits associated with Workers' Compensation include covering treatment expenses deemed necessary by your authorized doctor, and treatment by specialists recommended by your authorized doctor. These benefits will continue as long as recommended by your authorized doctor. If you must travel more than 15 miles each way to receive treatment, mileage reimbursement will be provided.

What do disability benefits entail?
If you have suffered a work related injury and are unable to work as a result, you are entitled to disability benefits, which will be made bimonthly by either your employer or your employer’s Workers’ Compensation insurance carrier.

Payment is 2/3 of your average salary for the 52 weeks prior to your injury. However, payment does not begin until your injury has forced you out of work for seven days. Provided you follow your doctor's treatment recommendations, you will receive payment for as long as you are unable to work, or have reached Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI).

What is Maximum Medical Improvement?
Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI) is when your authorized treatment doctor concludes that your condition has improved to the best state it possibly can after receiving the full course of treatment. Sometimes this means a full recovery and occasionally it results in either a Permanent Partial Disability or Permanent Total Disability. If this is the case, you are entitled to a permanent disability reward.

What should I do if I am injured on the job?
If you have suffered a work related injury, you must seek medical attention immediately and notify your employer about the injury. Tennessee law requires official notification of your injury within 30 days. Failure to adhere to this regulation could mean delay or denial of benefits.

Why do I need a Workers' Compensation lawyer?
Without consulting with and receiving the aid from an experienced workers' compensation lawyer, you risk reducing or losing the benefits you are entitled to. At James R. Omer & Associates, PLLC, you do not need to worry about affording a lawyer: if you don't get paid, neither do we.

If you have suffered a work related injury in the Nashville, Tennessee area, please contact James R. Omer & Associates, PLLC today. We will review your case and fight for your rights to receive full workers' compensation benefits.

Tennessee Attorneys